22 May 2011

do you have a passport?

despite the fact that croatia border control has continually stamped ON TOP of my beautiful green ireland stamp, i'm very quickly filling up my passport.  for those of you who may not know, a little over a year ago, i made it a goal of mine to fill up my passport before it expires.  it expires in august of 2017 and i am well on my way.  i'm still not totally sure what happens when all of your pages are covered in stamps, but i believe it may only involve going to an embassy and getting pages added.  regardless, i'd like to have to find out.

in conversations i have with friends here in italy, i have found that i am not the only one who desires a passport stamp upon entering a new country.  aside from the goal of filling up my passport, it's interesting to see what each stamp looks like!

knowing my goals and learning that it's not unusual for someone with similar interests to have a similar goal, i was surprised to find this chart showing how many americans have passports.  so many states show that less than half of their population has a passport!!! that just blows my mind.

in the same breath, i also know people who have never left the country and who don't really plan on it anytime soon.  and there's nothing wrong with that -- in fact, i'm ashamed to admit how little of the united states i have seen, especially when i've seen so much outside of the country.

it's just so different to think about simple travel here vs. simple travel in the states.  here, i almost always have my passport on me in case the drive home from school involves a border crossing or in case someone spur-of-the-moment invites me to go to slovenia or croatia for dinner.  whereas last-minute decisions like those are completely different in the states.

just something to ponder.

x!

No comments: