15 March 2011

i've got a bad case of wonderlust.

mom, you started it.  when i read your email as soon as my alarm went off this morning saying, "would you at all be interested in a job in rome?!" i knew the productivity of my tuesday was shot.

really, my 2nd thoughts about returning to the states began on the night of march 4th after returning from the venice carnevale celebrations.  as you may recall, this is when my quarter-life-crisis began with a skype conversation with my parents.  as much as i want to avoid admitting it, my decision to move to nyc in the fall hinged greatly on the fact that i'd be able to travel easily and affordably at least until december 31st.

now that that's not an option, am i really ready to leave europe and the international life i'm currently living? as HM tells me, "it suits no one better." and i have to say, i agree - especially since we've become friends with our neighbors and the weather is improving, my social life has begun to exist again and we all must agree that this is an exciting development as i enter my 25th year of life.

then today, i get a letter from my mom with various clippings from newspapers, inflight magazines, and the like (turning into my grandmother, i swear) including a clip with a travel blog excerpt.  my mom had circled the clip and at the bottom written, "could you contribute to some travel blogs?!"

of course, as soon as i could, i went to the blog link, began exploring the website, applied for an online internship and now have about 14 tabs open with various other travel blogs, travel/adventure books on amazon, guides to the vagabond lifestyle, and links to finding organic farm work.  i think the most appropriate tab holds the amazon page for  the renaissance soul: life design for people with too many passions to just pick one. i mean, could that describe me more accurately?! i think not. (those of you still looking for something to send to me for my birthday -- ahem, i would like this, please)

so, mom, thanks for reawakening my wonderlust with our original skype chat and then for encouraging it with your email and snail mail (that just happened to be received in the same day).  in response to your question email question, "hi, have we met? hell yes i would like a job in rome if you know someone with one to offer."

i must tell you, that you may have (accidentally?) convinced me to not move back to the states in july.....

stay tuned, of course.

x!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Of course, it's ALWAYS MOM'S fault!!! :) Well, I have to admit that I was secretly excited about you moving back to the US, but I don't want you to do it until YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY ready. We'll figure this out!! Love you---Mom